This is a reference post for the Seattle WordPress Meetup held on August 15th, 2020. WordPress Fundamentals. 10am-12pm
- Dash Buck: https://www.dashbuck.com/ (check out Dash’s page about pronouns – https://www.dashbuck.com/pronouns/)
- Cami MacNamara: https://webcami.com/ and here at WebCami Cafe!
Dash was taking a much-needed break this week!
After a round of introductions, we touched on the topics below.
Our Seattle WordPress Community:
- Seattle WordPress Community: https://wpseattle.org/
- Our Meetup Calendar: https://wpseattle.org/events/
- Our Code of Conduct: https://wpseattle.org/code-of-conduct/
- WordPress.com: https://wordpress.com/
- WordPress.org: https://wordpress.org/
- The difference between the two: https://wordpress.org/support/article/wordpress-vs-wordpress-com/
Email recommendation from Becky:
- Hover: https://www.hover.com/
Demonstrations from Cami:
- Creating favorites for your plugins in WordPress.org: https://wordpress.org/support/article/managing-plugins/#favorite-a-plugin
- Using Beaver Builder: https://www.wpbeaverbuilder.com/
Recap of WordPress 5.5 from David Schargel:
- WAIT before version 5.5.1 or 5.5.2!
- ALWAYS BACKUP FIRST! Host + your own UpDraftPlus (check backup Core option!), WPBackupPup, BlogVault, WPVivid
- Improved Block Editor
- The ‘Add new block’ (+) is more noticeable
- Block Directory
- Edit Images w/ Block Editor
- height, width, crop, and rotate
- Block Patterns(reusable blocks aka templates)(templates)(for consistency)
- Block navigation changes
- Auto Update WordPress, Theme, and Plugins (a good)
- Lazy Loading for Images (improves website speed)
- Other plugin do Lazy Loading AND have pre-updated themselves and even override this new feature. Common ones: WP Rocket, Swift Performance, Autoptimze, ShortPixel, and more
- Automatic XML Sitemaps (helps search engines to easily discover & index your content)
- Other plugin do XML Sitemaps AND have pre-updated themselves Yoast SEO, Rank Math, All-in-one SEO, SEO Framework. and more
- Developer changes (affects SOME plugins and themes, but not many)
- Not all Plugins have been test
Security & Backups:
- From David Schargel: https://ambient.vision/ultimate-guide-to-wordpress-security-part-one/
- Wordfence: https://www.wordfence.com/
- iThemes: http://ithemes.com/
- ManageWP: https://managewp.com/
- UpdraftPlus: https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/
The WordPress Fundamentals Meetup is held the 3rd Saturday of each month from 10am to 12pm on Zoom.