Online Community for Web Designers
WebCami Cafe is officially open for business!
I’m Cami MacNamara, a self-employed web designer in Seattle, Washington. I started designing websites for small businesses and nonprofits in 2002.
I’m excited to wake up and do what I love every day. I’ve been passionate about design and art since I was a kid. I loved making signs for my parents’ handbag business, school pep rallies, and even photo collages for friends. Of course, this was before we had computers, so I was kickin’ it old school with scissors, tape, markers, and poster board. In high school, my favorite class was Yearbook, which steered me to study graphic design in college. After a career in corporate retail that centered around computers, I found myself a stay-at-home mom with an HTML for Dummies book. The rest is history.
I’ve been enjoying the web designer communities I am a member of so much I wanted to start my own. Someday, I might offer an online course, but for now, I hope to share blog posts and offer my support and encouragement to those just starting, exploring possibilities, or designers just looking for someone to listen to and help.
I can tell you from experience that starting and running your own business as a solopreneur can be a lonely prospect. But, when it’s just you and your computer day after day, connecting and feeling a sense of community is needed. So, I would love to create something that might help others find their passion in web design, as I did!
If you’d like to be a member, please take a moment and
Here are the communities & blogs I look to for support regularly:
- Beaver Builder Facebook Group: I started using Beaver Builder in 2016, and this has been a great place to get support for what I believe is the best page builder on the market.
- Content Creators Facebook Group by Kim Doyal: Years ago, Kim trained me to use the Genesis theme, and she has been a fantastic inspiration (and friend) ever since.
- The Admin Bar: This rapidly growing Facebook group is a constant source of great information for WordPress designers.
- GoDaddy Garage Blog: Quite a few people I know write for GoDaddy’s blog and give great advice on running a web design business. I was also the first GoDaddy Pro Ambassador from 2018-2020 and currently serve as a GoDaddy Super User.
- Jennifer Bourn: I took Jennifer’s course in 2018, and it was the best investment I’ve ever made in my business training. She has a private group for her students, but you can learn more about all her course offerings on her Facebook page.
- Agency Mavericks: When I started this training in June of 2017, this course was called WP Elevation. While geared toward agencies, it gave me great tools for running my business as a one-person operation.
- WP Project Manager’s Academy: Beth Livingston and I met at WordCamp St. Louis in 2019 as part of the GoDaddy team. Beth has excellent free and premium courses available online that I highly recommend.
I hope WebCami Cafe gets added to your list!