How a morning routine can change your whole day
In 2015, my business was growing faster than I could keep up with. I was miserable, not sleeping and working myself to death. I reached out to a few friends, and someone recommended that I read “The Miracle Morning .” I purchased a copy of the book (all I do is Audible now), and I’ve been following this routine ever since.
The book says to create a ritual in the morning to set your intentions and focus for the day. The “Miracle” breaks down as follows:
He has an acronym for this (read the book), and I’ve adjusted the order to fit what worked for me. So, before I even get out of bed:
1. I wake up and spend a few minutes imagining that I will have a great day!
2. I meditate for 6 minutes with this quick morning meditation video I found for free on YouTube:
3. I then use this 5-minute affirmation video I found for free on YouTube:
4. I make a quick journal entry in my 5-minute journal app. It’s a short fill-in-the-blanks format with gratitude. That’s important.
I hit the shower because I have Nick Nolte’s mugshot hair each morning. 🙂
5. I exercise (usually a 30-60 minute walk outside or treadmill/elliptical at the gym).
6. While walking, I listen to Audible. It’s always a book that is business or self-improvement related. I might also listen to a podcast or Spotify.
I also added my own 7. I get satisfaction from tracking how often I do these six steps! For that, I use the Habit List App.
Do I do this religiously every single day? No. Do I do it most days? Yes.
I miss it when I don’t do this. I feel more stressed when I don’t do this. But I’m not trying to be perfect and make it yet another “to-do” on my list. If you don’t have a morning routine, I suggest you try one for 30 days and see how it affects your mood, productivity, and overall happiness.